- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
The Privacy Amendment (Sector) Act 2000 extends the operation of the Privacy Act 1988 to cover the private health sector throughout Australia.
The Privacy Act requires our practice to abide by the 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs):
- APP 1 – open and transparent management of personal information
- APP 2 – anonymity and pseudonymity
- APP 3 – collection of solicited personal information
- APP 4 – dealing with unsolicited personal information
- APP 5 – notification of the collection of personal information
- APP 6 – use and disclosure of personal information
- APP 7 – direct marketing
- APP 8 – cross-border disclosures
- APP 9 – adoption, use or disclosure of government related identifiers
- APP 10 – quality of personal information
- APP 11 – security of personal information
- APP 12 – access to personal information
- APP 13 – correction of personal information